“The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you can see” – Winston Churchill
With busy careers, family commitments and never ending to-do lists, it’s easy to fixate on your struggles instead of the small wins that are moving you forward. That’s why moments of reflection are vital in helping you stay connected to what you’re hustling for.
In the same way that performance reviews are used to measure your progress in your full-time role, leveraging a similar process in your personal life can help provide a boost of motivation on what you’ve accomplished and identify what you may need to let go of in order to be successful.
Although on the surface it may appear that quarterly reviews will be a time consuming process (afterall you can do a lot in three months) you shouldn’t discount its value. Investing the time to review your goals, especially the ones that you create for your side hustle can help you:
- Celebrate your accomplishments by identifying the specific actions, projects and events that you are proud of
- Measure your progress by tracking if your actions are steering you closer to your desired outcomes
- and Pivot or change direction if you notice that your plans are not exactly panning out
How to conduct a quarterly review
Before diving into your reflection process, begin with planning ahead to gather the necessary information you’ll need for your review. This includes things such as a:
- Calendar or agenda with important dates or milestones that you experienced
- Notebook to record your responses or download the special worksheets we created for this exericse by clicking on the image below
- Change in scenary to pick a relaxing and quiet place to record your responses.
Debrief your last 3 months
Grab your worksheet or notebook and reflect on the following questions
- What were your goals over the last three months?
- What did you accomplish that makes you feel proud?
- What were your biggest challenges?
- What are the most valulable lessons that you learned this quarter?
- What would you like to improve on in the next quarter?
Track your Metrics
Check in on your business metrics such as
- Social Media Followers
- Email Subscribers
Get ready for the next Quarter
State your vision for the next three months by answering the following questions:
- What are your goals for the next three months?
- What do you want to try or experience this quarter?
- What habits do I need to start, stop or continue
What practices do you use to stay connected to your goals? Share the reflection ‘secrets’ that work for you in the comments
Latest posts by Chivon (see all)
- From Free to Fee: How to get started and paid as a speaker - May 2, 2016
- Ready to hire a Virtual Assistant? Two rockstar business women share their best tips - April 18, 2016
- Ready to share YOUR side hustle secrets? We’re hiring contributors! - February 29, 2016